Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Implementation Log 4: Plan B

At this point, I've implemented resizing mechanics, and finish the timers which will play the correct video at the right moment. The last thing is the sound. The original plan is to adjust the volumes according to the current size of the video. However, I notice that there is no way to adjust volume of video which is within its swf file through the main swf file.

Remember we discussed earlier that we have a skeleton swf file to host all the swf files which contains videos so that we can resize the videos through the container. However, since the resizing and repositioning is done in the skeleton swf file, each individual container does not know its size. In addition, each individual container has no way to receive mouse movement event. Therefore, it's simply not possible to adjust volume this way.

As much as I don't like it, I have to use the plan B. Since we have the video and audio together instead of separating them into two files, I have to play each movie twice at any given time. One is for the video, in which I mute the sound. The other is for the sound and I resize that video to zero so that viewer can not see it. This way, I can achieve what we want to do. However, although it runs perfectly well on our laptop, I am not certain how well it will run on other machine.